Residents of the back country communities of San Diego County are sounding off about drone testing.
They are concerned about their safety, environment and privacy, but mostly about why they say there are no regulations concerning any of those.
“There is no solid legislation in place to control the use of these drones,” BCV Organizer Lisa Elkins said.
Drones can fire guns and rockets, deliver packages, allow operators to see for miles and record it all.
The FAA plans to select six unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) test sites by the end of the year. Data collected from the sites will help the FAA determine how best to “safely” integrate UAS systems into the national airspace over the next several years and what certification and navigation requirements will need to be established.
Julian residents, most wanting to avoid being drone guinea pigs, gathered Wednesday at the town hall to better understand the FAA’s intentions.
Among the guest speakers was American Civil Liberties Union attorney Gabriela Rivera.
Retired commercial pilot Jim Garrity says drone technology shouldn’t be dismissed by fear of the unknown.
“If there is a crook out there and they can find him or a child molester or car thief, they should use it,” Garrity said.
San Diego is a technological hub and has many manufactures wanting to corner the drone market.
- Julian California Residents Voice Their Opposition To Drone Testing (backcountryvoices.wordpress.com)
- Bill to Regulate Drones, Protect Privacy Introduced (backcountryvoices.wordpress.com)
- ‘Back Country Voices’ Citizens Concerned About Drones (backcountryvoices.wordpress.com)
- Potential Drone Test Site Spurs Concerns In San Diego Back Country (backcountryvoices.wordpress.com)
- Petition for Accountability and Transparency: Citizen’s Concerned About Drone Testing In San Diego County (backcountryvoices.wordpress.com)
- San Diego Supervisor Bill Horn Interview – Bill, for Real (backcountryvoices.wordpress.com)
- Drone Testing Area Creates Huge Liability, and Many Questions (backcountryvoices.wordpress.com)
- Proposed drone test site worries the backcountry (backcountryvoices.wordpress.com)
- 2013 Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Legislation (backcountryvoices.wordpress.com)